Post by homesteadermom on Oct 13, 2020 12:46:41 GMT -5
Decided to add a family milking cow to our homestead, and the jersey heifer we put a down payment on from a breeder has recently been bitten by a venomous snake on the udder. The breeder was having her run with the bull and let me know yesterday that one of her teats is blackish purple and swollen. He also said her udder was swollen as well as the left side of her body. He has treated her with iodine and minerals/vitamins, and she looks better but he is concerned the teat and a quarter of the udder will be lost.
He offered a full refund on our down payment. He also offered for him to continue caring for her until she is fully healed so she isn't moved too early with her injury (if we decide to keep her). My husband is on the fence because he doesn't want to drive four hours to pick up the cow if she is going to only be three quarters (though she would still probably make enough milk once bred). Another concern is her losing her pregnancy (if the bull managed to impregnate her before the accident).
There is a local bred Heritage Milking Shorthorn that we are looking at getting if we pass on the Jersey. Thoughts?
Post by homesteadermom on Oct 13, 2020 13:09:14 GMT -5
Applelonia, this is sound advice, and my husband said something similar last night. Guess I got too attached before we really owned her so that was why I still wanted to give her a chance. But logically, it makes more sense to walk away and find another.
Post by Meadow Creek Mama on Oct 13, 2020 13:14:53 GMT -5
I agree. Cows are going to give you enough trouble as it is, no need to start off on a lame foot. That's nice they offered a full refund.
Homestead wife and mom to three kiddos. 3 Jerseys: 2 milk cows (Tirzah & Bella) and 1 heifer (Charlotte) New heifer calf Bobbie! (Jersey/Herford) Big gardens growing the goods Lots of laying hens with roosters 3 Toulouse Geese Pigs & Broilers every year 1 Farm Dog 3 Barn Cats
Post by homesteadermom on Oct 13, 2020 13:24:48 GMT -5
I thought that was nice of them to offer the refund as well. I know the breeder probably said this to try to nudge us into keeping the cow, or at least to show she still has a lot of value, but he wants us to decide within a few days because he already has another person interested in her, even with her current condition, the likelihood of her losing a possible pregnancy, and with her being three quarters
Post by jerseyrose on Oct 13, 2020 13:35:31 GMT -5
A 3 quartered cow wouldn't bother me, but like the others have said since you have not paid for her in full and with the " unknowns" of what may happen to her udder and pregnancy since this just happened, I would pass.
Let the interested party take her and go have a look at the cow closer to you.
Julie wife, mom to 3 wonderful ( now adult) kids :-)
Jersey steer --Willie RIP-- Rose-Jersey RIP-- Abby - Jersey Rosie-- Jersey past family cow Lily -- Angus / Jersey past family cow 2 appaloosas- Candy, Sierra 1 quarter horse yearling - Salem 3 dogs-- Sunny, Mia, Sadie a herd of 27 Boer goats a variety of chickens 3 feeder pigs
homesteadermom is this going to be your first milk cow? If she is I agree that walking away from her would be the best thing. You want healthy cow/heifer for your first milk cow. The learning curve is steep enough with a healthy cow. Hopefully you will find a very nice cow closer to home. Good luck and we can't wait to hear about the new cow you get!
Just when I think I know everything about cows, my girls let me know that I don't know anything!
I've had 2 cows bitten by rattlesnakes, both lost their pregnancy's and did not breed back till the following year. I was in a position to be able to hold them over and give them another chance but there are a lot of people that can't. I would pass her up or you may not get her to breed back for another year, then it will be 2years before you get milk out of her.
claytonpaul: A bull was put on her herd Late Last May so she was expected to be due between May1 and August. They quoted me August so I wouldn't be disappointing by a late arrival.
May 23, 2019 13:07:11 GMT -5
Trim: I'm baaaaacccckkkk!
Aug 31, 2019 17:57:22 GMT -5
alpacalexi: My mini jersey cow is pregnant, however the last couple days her udder has deflated. My vet saw her on the 23 and said delivery in a couple weeks Is there a reason for her deflating?
Oct 2, 2019 17:17:00 GMT -5
Trim: She probably aborted a while back. That happened to one of my animals. She was bagging up but within a short while of her "due date" she began to deflate. I had no idea what had happened. I was seriously bummed out.
Feb 8, 2020 20:46:23 GMT -5
mamacherri10: good afternoon! I have not been on the website in a long time. Have a new jersey milk cow and am looking to see how long she needs to be dried up prior to calving? She is due the third week of May.
Mar 10, 2020 14:33:11 GMT -5
steven888: Dry her up now, she needs 6 wks of rest.
Apr 1, 2020 2:05:11 GMT -5
highlandteen: five to six weeks is generally suggested
May 7, 2020 14:39:23 GMT -5
biubiu: I think that CBD oil will be more popular. Because in is nice product for medicine and for simple guys.
Sept 15, 2020 14:31:42 GMT -5
guernseygirl: Can someone let me know if my pictures are showing up in the Auction Barn post? There should be 5 photos
Sept 20, 2020 20:58:54 GMT -5
This book is intended as an inspirational manual for keeping a family milk cow. A lifetime of practical experience has been bound into one volume. Practical advice for the everyday and procedures for cow emergencies. Plus, answers to FAQ's like, 'Should you get a cow?' and 'How Much Space do I need?'