We have an older ewe (apx 8-9 years old) that has a history of mastitis. I had her tested last spring when I found a lump in her udder. Test results showed she had mastitis, staph and strep. She raised two beautiful lambs and weaned them on her own. She has gone through a series of treatments in the past but seems to be resistant. She is currently bred (50 days gestation) and I noticed another lump. Is there a protocol to treat her with DMSO and, how would this affect her unborn lambs?
Are you planning in milking this ewe for yourself? If not, and she's raised her twins from last year without issue, I wouldn't treat her with anything. By now the mastitis is a chronic problem that is unlikely to have a long term response to treatment. Do keep in mind that previous mastitis can scar the mammary and her milk production may be less this year. Keep a close eye on her udder and how the lambs are growing. You may need to wean the lambs early or creep the lambs or cull the ewe if her udder starts to get really bad and might abscess. Chronic mastitis is a roller coaster.
We do not milk her for ourselves. We raise Suffolk sheep and they are used for meat. I have saved her milk the past incase we needed it for a bottle baby, since she has always produced an abundance of milk. I believe she will be able to raise these new lambs, (they will also have access to creep feed) she is a really great Momma. I guess my biggest concern is her comfort. I don't want her in pain if there is something more I can do for her. I would like to keep her in production. She always has big, strong, healthy lambs but I'm concerned this chronic mastitis issue has such a strong hold on her, despite all the care and treatment she has already received.
claytonpaul: A bull was put on her herd Late Last May so she was expected to be due between May1 and August. They quoted me August so I wouldn't be disappointing by a late arrival.
May 23, 2019 13:07:11 GMT -5
Trim: I'm baaaaacccckkkk!
Aug 31, 2019 17:57:22 GMT -5
alpacalexi: My mini jersey cow is pregnant, however the last couple days her udder has deflated. My vet saw her on the 23 and said delivery in a couple weeks Is there a reason for her deflating?
Oct 2, 2019 17:17:00 GMT -5
Trim: She probably aborted a while back. That happened to one of my animals. She was bagging up but within a short while of her "due date" she began to deflate. I had no idea what had happened. I was seriously bummed out.
Feb 8, 2020 20:46:23 GMT -5
This book is intended as an inspirational manual for keeping a family milk cow. A lifetime of practical experience has been bound into one volume. Practical advice for the everyday and procedures for cow emergencies. Plus, answers to FAQ's like, 'Should you get a cow?' and 'How Much Space do I need?'