We've decided that we really only need to keep one heifer calf this year and so I'm going to sell Jingle's calf. The NZ Jersey and Normande crosses are far better suited for our farm. But I need some reassurance with our keeper calf. Bandit (75% Normande) has raspy breathing. She had some issues at around a month old (she's 3 months now) - a little coughing (1-3 times) after her bottle (what I would consider in the realm of normal for bottle calves as many sputter a bit after their bottle). But she also had a slight temp and was reluctant to finish her bottles for a few days and so vet decided to give Excede (he was here for their dehorning). Even though she's on a Peach Teat milk comes out of her nose - this is the first time I've experienced this in a calf.
Anyway, she doesn't cough anymore and she's growing well, super spunky, etc. But she breathes loudly. Kind of raspy/hoarse sounding. Not labored or fast. Always when she's laying down, sometimes when standing I think.
I know how delicate cows' lungs are and how they can be permanently impacted after having pneumonia as a calf. I know she was not seriously ill yet I'm still anxious that this will impact her. I'm just being a worry wart! I think this was the first time I've had a calf get sick.
From my personal expirience, I think you have good reason to worry! I had a couple of calves develope chronic raspy breathing after being "cured" of a respiratory infection. Both seemed to thrive until weaning time, then suddenly died.
Me and my husband,2 amazing kids, 19/22 and an empty nest. RIP Solo,1 nutty french bulldog Kona. 3 house cats White,Honey and Bumble. One barn cat Buddy. Baba-Jersey dob. June 2013 Feather-Jersey dob. July 26th 2017 Shiloh 25 year old polish Arabian. Chinook 15 year old appendix. Chickens and few too many roosters.
Post by simplynaturalfarm on Jul 9, 2019 14:34:08 GMT -5
Some have upper respiratory or lower or combination of both and you have to listen to lungs to figure out what is going on.
Yes it could be she had pneumonia and damaged lungs. It could be a she had dIptheria and will have off breathing for at least a few years ( I had a steer who got this and breathed labored till we butchered him)
I also have one cow who has labored heavy breathing constantly and yet never been sick a day in her life. I hate the sounds she makes but she is fat and sassy.
I'd say have a vet do a good listen next time they are out . Otherwise she'll probably be butchered at 2 years is my guess so you have time to see how she does and what vet has to say.
My heifer born six weeks ago with blue eyes seems to have oddities all over the place, and raspy/labored breathing. There would have been no reason for her to be ill and I don't have a bottle to blame (i.e. sometimes when the opening on the nipple is cut bigger for faster drinking, it can slosh around and end up in the lungs with issues) because she's drinking off the udder. I have a vet coming Thursday as I love the melaxicam (sp) and the carbocaine better than my lidocaine for dehorning. I will ask her what she thinks. My calf also has an unrelated growth where the umbilicus was, which I have also seen before, but have an eye on it As long as they are bouncing around and eating I worry a lot less. I do think if I put my stethoscope to her belly I would know more, but not sure what it would mean.
Because it's not my calf, therefore I "have no skin in the game", a chronic breathing problem like that would be reason enough for me to sell the calf (or eat it). Like I said, though, it's not mine and I don't have any feelings for it one way or the other. It's easy to be logical and objective if I didn't raise it and love it. I agree with those that say you will almost surely have trouble with it down the way. I would also be happy to be proven 100% wrong! I would just hate for you to put more time and effort into her, and have something go majorly wrong.
We have had goats in the past that were "heavy breathers". We would notice the noise as we were rounding up and driving them from pasture to pasture, then to the pen for shearing time. Those would be culled and shipped to the auction.
Wife to the Greatest Husband Ever, Mother of Three Awesome Daughters, Mother-in-Law to Two Amazing Sons-in-Law, The Most Precious Grandson and Granddaughter Ever, Rancher/"Zoo-Keeper" of Hereford Cattle, Angora Goats, Remuda of Horses, Two Border Collies, One Mini-Aussie, A Duke's Mixture of Chickens, Seven Ducks (Rouen), and One Sweet Mini-Jersey named Katy Kow!
I'm on team check the calf out and if it's got chronic lung problems, don't keep it. We've struggled with cows that were sickly heifers that we should have gotten rid of and best case scenario it ends up being an animal that does all right but always struggles to keep weight on and struggles in heat. Worst case scenario it dies after having its first calf
Do you "need" to keep one? If not, maybe keep waiting for a cross that's just what you want.
My husband said if he has been more critical of Guernsey calves and culled heavier, he'd probably still have them. Instead, he tried to save and work with all of them and ended up with a lot of problem cows.
Milk coming out the nose is odd, maybe she just has a funny valve or something? But still, it's possible it'll cause her issues down the road, especially with the raspiness.
Jersey cow family: Delegate Rosebud (age 15), Samson's Rosita (age 3), Virtuoso Briar Rose (age 2) An Akita, some kitty cats, 7 Border Leicester sheep & 53 hens
The two Jerseys I am raising both had bouts of raspy breathing. One very minor and mostly after drinking. The other had a respiratory infection, treated early and has had funky breathing more often in comparison. It seems better now but, I do not think he is 100%. I cast a sharp eye on him every day. If it was an animal I wanted long term, I would be *really* rethinking. Trouble can come to the healthiest of animals, those less so are almost an invitation for issues. The more invested one is the bigger the heart break and financial loss potential.
Thanks for all the input. I have a call into the vet for a checkup. If he's optimistic then we'll keep her as we really need another heifer and she has wonderful breeding and is super sweet - exactly what we want. If not, we'll raise her for beef. I'll wait to list the Jersey heifer until then.
Belle - Normande x Jersey cow Willow - NZ Jersey heifer Pringle and Bandit - heifer calves
I'm very interested in what you find out, Kelsey, because I'm having a similar problem right now. I was just posting about it, in fact (I should have looked here first, LOL!). In my case, it's the neighbor's calf that we're raising for him, and he'll eventually go to the sale barn for beef, so I don't need to worry about long term issues, but I'm puzzled because other than the louder than normal breathing, our little calf is spunky and bright. So I'm curious what information you get from the vet. It would give me a place to start, considering we don't have a vet that will come out, so I'll have to do this myself, whatever it turns out to be.
This morning my vet came to dehorn Lucy-she has meloxicam and carbocane. So much better than lidocaine. Lucy was breathing even heavier than normal, probably because of the heat and humidity. The diagnosis was pretty much calf diphtheria (also known as necrotic laryngitis). I think you've got a similar situation. (and Lannie too^^^) The key was the inflammation lower neck area, where maybe she swallowed something that clipped the soft tissue and created inflammation from abrasion- . Interestingly, she said it will not go away on its own and in severe situations can occlude because of swelling. Remedy is penicillin- 10 cc once a day IM rump area or TAD shoulder splitting the dosage, I hadn't really noticed how much the breathing was compromised until we had her up close for an exam. Horn buds gone. First shots, either side of her shoulder, given. My sweet Lucy is out in pasture again looking none the worse for a traumatic morning on the mend. She will be getting Pen for two weeks. edit to add- this is not an uncommon issue or a problem that deserves culling as a remedy except in the worst cases very treatable
Last Edit: Jul 11, 2019 13:02:03 GMT -5 by brigitte
Post by Meadow Creek Mama on Jul 11, 2019 12:15:21 GMT -5
The thing about dairy animals is babies keep coming. I'd only plan to keep exactly what you want and be ready to cull the rest.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulations; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Homestead wife and mom to three kiddos. 3 Jerseys: 2 milk cows (Tirzah & Bella) and 1 heifer calf (Charlotte) Lots of laying hens with roosters A flock of broilers every year 2 Tamworth pigs this year 1 Malamute mix 4 Barn Cats
I have a message in for our vet but it may be a little while before he comes out as he's not around much these days. I'll definitely update when he checks her out.
I know there are always more calves to be had, but if she doesn't work out then I will have to buy another cow. An unknown heifer is not necessarily a better animal than a home raised heifer with optimal genetics, raised on plenty of milk, etc, who has a very slight respiratory handicap (fingers crossed). Of course if she has real lung damage that's a different story. My first cow Iris was sold to me because she was treated for pneumonia (organic herd) and had an occasional cough all her long life - 15 years.
Kelsey, if there is inflammation, a kind of paunchy feel to the lower neck region, I would start her on penicillin. Right, we don't have a vet with a stethoscope or a diagnosis to rule out lung infection, but this is a fairly common ailment for calves and the penicillin would likely benefit what afflicts her.
If this diptheria thing is what our little steer has, and I've already given him a shot of LA300 (48 hours ago), can I give him penicillin today? His breathing is better, but still wheezy. Or do I need to wait another day for the oxytet to wear off?
Does anyone know the answer to this? I heard you shouldn't give them at the same time because they'll cancel each other out or something (that doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I heard), and also, when I do give him the penicillin, what's the dose? 10cc was mentioned, but is that for a small calf also? This baby weighs maybe 100 pounds at the moment. 10cc seems like an awful lot for a little critter like him, but then, penicillin isn't that potent, so maybe it IS right. Can someone clarify for me? Pretty please?
Your 100 pound calf would be smaller than my two month old shorthorn heifer..who might weigh twice that or not quite. If you gave LA300 two days ago and haven't given more, start him on 8 cc penicillin OAD or 4 cc TAD. Just the penicillin moving forward. I didn't volunteer to the vet that I favor the penicillin, she advised it without my input. I have been giving shoulder shots, at the time the calf is brought back to the cow in the morning less stressful Already I can see a dramatic change. I was TAD now moving to OAD . She hates me a little less Two weeks for this and she will be fine. Yours too If OAD, half the dosage on two injection sites.
Last Edit: Jul 13, 2019 10:39:25 GMT -5 by brigitte
Thanks for that info, Brigitte. I'm heading out to do that now. He got a little worse overnight, and his fever is back up to 102.8 so obviously the oxytet wasn't the right drug for whatever he's got. I've got Pen-G, so I'll give him that, once a day because he's already starting to hate needles. But two pokes per dose, got it.
My bottle says not to give this more than four consecutive days. That's just a CYA statement maybe? Or just that they haven't tested it past four days? Well, I'll play it by ear. I hate penicillin because I'm extremely allergic due to overuse of it when I was a kid. It was the new wonder drug back then and we got a penicillin shot every time we got a sniffle. I don't want to cause him any problems like that, so I hope it works quickly.
claytonpaul: A bull was put on her herd Late Last May so she was expected to be due between May1 and August. They quoted me August so I wouldn't be disappointing by a late arrival.
May 23, 2019 13:07:11 GMT -5
Trim: I'm baaaaacccckkkk!
Aug 31, 2019 17:57:22 GMT -5
alpacalexi: My mini jersey cow is pregnant, however the last couple days her udder has deflated. My vet saw her on the 23 and said delivery in a couple weeks Is there a reason for her deflating?
Oct 2, 2019 17:17:00 GMT -5
This book is intended as an inspirational manual for keeping a family milk cow. A lifetime of practical experience has been bound into one volume. Practical advice for the everyday and procedures for cow emergencies. Plus, answers to FAQ's like, 'Should you get a cow?' and 'How Much Space do I need?'